Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Buddhafield


Why the Osho Buddhafield in Pune means so much to me!


I am a child, maybe 5 or 6 years old, living in a New York City apartment house with my Jewish family. Every summer for two months my parents send me to Camp Tagola, in Monticello outside of the city. What a joy, what an excitement! I pack my clothes and label everything in my trunk. I get to be away from my over-protective but loving parents, living with a bunch of other kids in bunks, playing all day with counselors who are not much older than we are. I am never home-sick!

The counselors are wanna-be stars from the New York City theatre who get a chance to make some money, and take a vacation as well – a piece of cake for them as well as for us. This is during the 30’s; a great depression is taking place in the US now. They direct us all in shows, plays, musicals, pantomimes as well as tell us about the real story of how we are born – the truth about sex and how it happens. I love all the sports activities. I get to be a star, singing and never stage frightened.


And now as a teenager, there’s the boys’ camp, not far away, and the delight of being free under the romantic summer skies away from all those parental injunctions. So you can see the Buddhafield is just like my summer camp.


This summer camp continues until I am 16 and become a counselor as well, before going to university. And then discovering it again in the Osho Meditation Resort!


The other aspect of my adoration of living in my Buddhafield springs from a book I read in the 70’s by David Cooper, a British anti-psychiatrist who keeps company with R.D. Laing – the book is called The Death of the Family, and his amazing perceptions lead in its way to the death - metaphorically -.of my own nuclear family,. One of the things that he describes is setting up small non-hierarchal communes of doctors and patients where someone knows and everyone knows that he knows. Those words are what also makes its deep impression on me – and the Buddhafield is for me, that place where someone knows and everyone knows that he knows – and from there we spring into our own knowing.


How lucky I am to be living a part of the Osho Buddhafield in the Osho Meditation Center in Pune.

No comments:

Post a Comment