Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Pat and Jolly Mystery

It’s 1972, my husband and I and two of our children are living in a commune in LA called Ellis Island. It is an old Victorian house, 11 bedrooms, peopled by a dozen young radical men and women. There is also a large space we create available to back-packers to stay for two days, leaving on the third. Our motto is “Crashers and fish smell after three days.”


A middle-aged man in a business suit with no luggage appears asking if he can crash and of course is accepted and stays the night. The next morning, as he is leaving, he asks me for some small change.


I say, “I don’t get it. Who are you and what are you doing here?”

He replies, “I’m a business man, actually a president of a company and I read a book by Pat and Jolly and want to test some of the things I read about.


I give him some change and promptly go to The Bodhi Tree Bookstore to ask about a book by “Pat and Jolly” But of course there is no such auther of any book there.


It isn’t until my first English discourse upon coming to the Rajneesh Ashram in 1976, Yoga: The Alpha and the Omega, Vol.10. that I learn the identity of Pat and Jolly --- Patanjali himself!

AHA!

[photo above taken in 1976 in Shree Rajneesh Ashram]

No comments:

Post a Comment